Here me out. I’m a 48-year old woman with a great job, awesome family, good roof over my head, and so much more.
I don’t want to lose it
For the past 9 years or so, New Year’s Eve at my home has been like this:
- Hubs in bed snoring away
- Furson in his bed snoring away
- Furdaughter on my bed snoring away
- Me on the couch or in bed watching movies through the Big Apple drop
- Me on the couch with my laptop chatting away with others who decided to stay home
Life is Great, right?
Although there is a point where I miss getting all dolled up and heading out to the big New Year’s Eve party and rolling in the new year with friends, dancing, and drinking, the risks involved are what keep me home.
Let’s take a look at some of the risks:
If you live in the suburbs or a rural area, chances are the dangers are going to be much higher.
- Less likely to walk to a party, thus having to drive
- Being the designated sober driver, yet worrying about other drunk drivers
- The looney-toons will be out in full force looking to be malicious
- Threat of terroristic or “lone wolf” incidents
- Taxi? What’s a taxi?
Living in the city can give you a bit more comfort, maybe:
- Walk to a friend’s house to party
- Walk to a bar to party
- Threats of terrorism or “lone wolf” incidents increase due to city populations
- Taxi cab service is abundant
- Uber and/or similar services are available
What about the ramifications of the above risks?
- You could lose your license due to intoxicated driving
- You could have a vehicle accident resulting in injury or death yourself, your passengers or other passengers in vehicles
- You children/furchildren would be left parentless
- You could lose your job because you lost your license
- You could be injured or die if a malicious event happened
- Overpartying or drinking could result in health issues for yourself
So when you take all that into consideration, Is It Really Worth Going Out on New Year’s Eve?
Quite frankly, in my opinion, Not Anymore.
It’s not like it was 20 years ago when we really didn’t think twice about driving under the influence. There were all those other distractions while driving like cell phones. We lived in a better place back then, in my opinion. Things weren’t as crazy! Terrorism? What was terrorism in 20 years ago?
A bit cray cray to think about it, no?
For me, I’ll be content bringing in the new year like I have for the previous 8 or 9 years. At least I know the only cray in the house will be me running around naked at midnight and having my furkids and possibly hubs, look at me like I’ve totally lost my mind.
Of course, there is also my big day on New Year’s Day! The hubs and I will be at Fed Ex Field watching my Redskins stomp all over those Giants! 😉
It works for me, though, how about you?
How will you be spending your New Year’s Eve?
Will you be in your jammies eating popcorn and watching the Big Apple drop? Sleeping through it all? Or out celebrating with family or friends?